Friday, January 8, 2010

Transformation into an Essay

So it’s that time of the term again, we have to start working on our revised essays. The last one was not so great, in fact, it kind of sucked because I was confused as to where to take my idea and so I ended up having a split personality when it came to the tone of writing. I really, really do not want to do that again and so I was really glad to hear that we were going to be working with our tables rather than newly formed groups. I felt that I could take a bigger risk knowing that my friends would be kind and would make me feel more confident in what exactly I could write about. The only problem is that I am stuck. I have no idea what will make a good essay topic. I have had this one concept in my head ever since the first revised essay, in fact I thought of changing the topic to fit it but realized it was way too late into the process to change. I thought this idea would be really good because it in corporate my favorite type of writing poetry, but now that it comes down to writing it I fear that the final product will be more like a story than an essay. I have no idea what I am going to do because I only have one other idea and I am not even that crazy about it. I really feel like the biggest risk is the one that deals with poetry because I think that it would really take some opening up which is not always that easy for me. I super scared that this piece will suck or that I might get a bad grade because the teacher doesn’t think it is an essay or a bad essay at that. It is sad; I have never had any doubt in my writing abilities before this class, but with the doubt comes a greater chance to succeed. I just really hope that is what happens with this essay because I could really use a boost of confidence in my writing abilities. I know that my idea is such a risk that it will either be successful or a miserable failure. I am hoping for this essay to be my own and not someone elses but with Annie Dillard’s “Transfiguration” as my influence. Hopefully it will work out!!

video version of Annie Dillard's "Transfiguration"

No comments:

Post a Comment