Thursday, September 17, 2009

Love Song

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop. -Anonymous

I guess when it comes to expression, poetry, love is a common topic. Last week I talked about Emily Dickinson's Heart, "We Will Forget Him!" and how it was about a love that had to be forgotten but would not leave the minds easily. This week I was searching the archives of Sylvia Plath's works and came across another interesting poem entitled "Mad Girl's Love Song." Now I am actually a big fan of Sylvia Plath ever since I was introduced to her "Daddy" poem last year. I find her writing to be very harsh and raw in emotion yet eloquently written. Her book intrigued my palate of reading and so when I came across this poem I was very excited to share with my blogger family and my view on its author and the poem as a whole. “Mad Girl’s Love Song” is a poem that talks about the relationship between the speaker and a man. It is obvious that the speaker cared very deeply for this man and thought very highly of him because of the repetition of the line ‘(I think I made you up inside my head)’ implying that he was such a great guy that he couldn’t possibly exist. Repetition is a common theme in this poem as the line ‘I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.’ This line actually gives us this feeling of depression but also shows that the speaker just wishes to escape the world and go into herself. Obviously the speaker believes that the world reminds her of this man, who at the end of the poem it is revealed has missing from her life for some time. The overall voice of the poem is on the more depressing side but that is what Sylvia Plath is most known for. The speaker starts the poem talking about falling in love with this man she finds to be so special and how he romanced her off her feet and made her world make sense, but at the end of the poem the speaker says she has grown old waiting for the man to return and wished she had loved someone that she knew would return. I think that the second part of the poem is her present state, wanting to get away from the world because her world has crumbled and stopped because of this man who made her love him and then left her to live in this world that he had created for her, making it hard for her to forget his love and yet still wanting to forget because he obviously hurt her very much. The speaker is obviously confused as to why this man never returned and thinks it is practically the end of the world because he has yet to return.

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/plath/madgirl.html



No comments:

Post a Comment