Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Heart

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of." Blaise Pascal

If you have not already guessed today's blog is over the heart and what the heart wants. This seems to be a topic that has bombarded the school I attend at full force, but that is not unusual since Homecoming is next week and many people are searching for their dates. With all the love or hunt for love in the air I could not have found a more perfect time to find this poem by Emily Dickinson, "Heart, we will forget him!" http://www.poetry-archive.com/d/heart_we_will_forget_him.html This is a very touching poem to me because I believe it is speaking of a person who is trying to forget about a lost love which everyone can relate to. Dickinson captured the essence of a girl whose love can no longer exist but still does in her heart and her efforts to forget seem half-hearted. This poem really spoke to me as a reader because I have felt that way many a time when it comes to a boy. The poem starts with the declaration that the speaker will forget this love that can be no more,yet by the end the poet has made it clear that she cannot forget to easily nor does she want too, Haste! lest while you're lagging, I may remember him! (Heart, we will forget him!)

No comments:

Post a Comment